It’s never easy or fun to manage food allergies, but it may be particularly difficult during the holidays. From Halloween through New Year’s (oh, and then there’s Valentine’s Day), social gatherings and parties focus on–yup, you guessed it–FOOD. If you’re cooking for or traveling with someone who has food allergies, check out my recent article for Kids Eat Right: 8 Tips for Allergy-Free Holidays. It’s loaded with helpful tips to help your loved ones with food allergies power through the holidays.
And in the meantime, I wanted to highlight a recipe I shared last year. It’s Fruit & Pepita Chocolate Squares. Free from the top 8 allergens, they make a tasty and elegant dessert.
- 4-5 ounces of allergen-free dark chocolate (we use Enjoy Life dark chocolate bars)
- 1/4 cup lightly roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried mixed berries and/or dried cherries
- In a double boiler, heat chocolate over simmering water until chocolate melts and is smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine pumpkin seeds, dried fruit and melted chocolate. Spread onto a baking sheet with parchment paper. Allow to cool to room temperature and cut into squares. Enjoy!
PLEASE SHARE: What are your favorite allergen-free holiday treats? Please share! I’d love to hear from you.
Wishing you a safe and healthy Thanksgiving!