Um, how you could not love this month’s Recipe ReDux challenge?
Favorite Chocolate Matches
Does your chocolate need a friend? This month’s posting will be after Valentine’s Day, so you may have a bit of extra chocolate around. What’s your favorite chocolate match? Be it traditional peanut butter or something more exotic like cayenne + chocolate. Show us your favorite healthy chocolate combo recipe.
I could pretty much eat chocolate–especially dark chocolate–with (or following) anything. For an afternoon snack, I sometimes grab a dark chocolate square with a few dried apricots or a small scoop of dark chocolate chips with pumpkin and sunflower seeds. So, naturally, my brain thought of these foods as my favorite chocolate pairings.
These Fruit & Pepita Chocolate Squares were inspired by this recipe in Nutrition Action (December 2014), but I made mine nut-free. You can use dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate bars or any leftover chocolate you prefer. They are tasty and elegant and super easy to make.
- 4-5 ounces nut-free dark chocolate, chopped (I like Enjoy Life dark chocolate bars)
- 1/4 cup lightly roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried mixed berries and/or cherries
- In a double boiler, heat chocolate over hot water until chocolate melts and is smooth. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, combine pumpkin seeds, dried fruit and melted chocolate. Spread onto a baking sheet with parchment paper. Allow to cool to room temperature and cut into squares.
PLEASE SHARE: How do you use your favorite leftover chocolate? What is your favorite chocolate pairing? Please share. I’d love to hear from you.
And, don’t forget to check out recipes from fellow Recipe ReDux’ers below. You’re sure to find some seriously yummy recipes that will inspire you to get into the kitchen and mix up some chocolate goodies!