Studies show that what you eat during the day can impact your eating choices when faced with mouthwatering party nosh. Here are some tips + recipes to help you EAT SMARTER over the upcoming weeks.
- Eat breakfast. Studies show that eating a protein-rich AM meal can help prevent overeating later in the day. Pair your breakfast protein with a fiber-rich carbohydrate, like vegetables, fruit or whole grains.
- THINK: Nuts and seeds with oatmeal, yogurt in your smoothie, smoked salmon on whole grain toast, hard-boiled egg with a piece of fruit, cottage cheese with berries or try my Make-Ahead Spinach, Feta and Sundried Tomato Wrap.
- Don’t stock up on calories by skipping lunch! If I had a dime for every time I heard someone say, “I know I’m going to eat a lot tonight, so I’m going to skip lunch” I’d be… well, you know… rich. (Guess I should have saved up those dimes.) This is flawed thinking for a couple of reasons. One, without a mid-day meal, your blood sugar levels will go haywire. Two, eating too many calories at one sitting will still be stored as fat regardless of whether you ate a light lunch or nothing at all. You can make it a light lunch, but–like at breakfast (and dinner and at snacks)–pair a heart-healthy protein and/or fat with a fiber-rich carbohydrate for the biggest power punch.
- TRY: My Teriyaki Tuna Bowl is super-easy and tasty! Use already-cooked quinoa, brown rice or whole wheat noodles, and there’s no cooking involved! Plus, it’s loaded with protein, vitamin C, potassium, antioxidants, dietary fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Staying hydrated before hitting the party will help you reign it in with both food and beverages. And if you’re going more than four hours between lunch and dinner, you need a little fuel to prevent you from going overboard at the buffet.
- MAKE: Whip up a batch of this nutrient-rich and hydrating Green Goddess Smoothie the night before and tote to work to drink the afternoon of the party. It’s mildly sweet and very hydrating!
I also dished about holiday snacks this morning. Check it out in a future blog post!
PLEASE SHARE: What are your favorite pre-party day of meals and snacks? Please share. I’d love to hear from you!