Memorial Day is around the corner and summer is almost here… although it doesn’t feel like it this week. Here in North Carolina, the temperature has been hovering around 60 degrees for days. While shivering in my short-sleeved shirt (with most of our winter clothes already stashed away!), I decided we needed a little taste of the tropics.
A little pineapple, some red pepper, a lot of avocado, a bit of jalapeno and salmon. Perfect ingredients for a salmon slider with a little tropical flair. And, perfect for this month’s Recipe ReDux theme.
This salmon slider makes a perfect summer BBQ appetizer or a not-quite-summer light dinner. Rich in protein, omega-3s, vitamin C, potassium and dietary fiber, this dish goes perfectly atop a mini whole wheat pita or Bibb lettuce leaves (for those who want a slider sans bread).
- FOR SLIDERS:
- 2 (5 oz.) canned or pouch salmon
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shredded light cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2-1 lemon
- Salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, to taste
- FOR TROPICAL SALSA:
- 1 (3.5 oz.) canned pineapple, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2-3/4 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil baking pan. In a medium bowl, combine all slider ingredients (salmon through lemon juices and spices). Form into 15 slider-sized patties. Bake for 8-10 minutes per side.
- While sliders are cooking, mix all tropical salsa ingredients in a small bowl.
- Top cooked salmon sliders with tropical salsa. Serve on mini whole wheat pitas or Bibb lettuce leaves. Makes 15 sliders.
PLEASE SHARE: What is your favorite summer tapas or appetizer? Please share. I’d love to hear from you!
Disclaimer: I am a consultant to the National Fisheries Institute. However, all content and recipes in this blog are solely my own. I was not compensated in any way for this recipe or blog post.
And, be sure to check out my fellow Recipe ReDux’ers. You’re sure to find something tasty and mouth-watering below!